Monday, September 19, 2011

Post Triathlon...

Here is the update on the Triathlon:

It was a lot of fun...no really!  I would say that all the prep made it fun.  For the diehards  no I did not puke or pass out but yes I did leave "it" all out there!  Very challenging is an understatement.  The fella who won the race did it in 1:27:42 to say he flew thru the race would be accurate!  I finished in a time of 2:21:44 so I was close...HAHA NOT!

The Swim...
Yep Kelly was right I swim like a grandpa...however some of the grandpas flew by me in the water.  The fella with the fastest swim time was 37 years old and did a 8:48 0.50 mile swim...mine was right around 21 minutes...gunna need to work on this!  It was fun, I was not intimidated, I did get hit and kicked a few times but I would have done better if I knew how to swim.  Also I did a lot of gawking...not good when you are in the race...but some of these folks just flew by so fast I had to watch in amazement!

Transition from swim to bike...
Went as planned only took me about 4 minutes to get up, changed and out so not bad!

The Bike...
Riding my road bike that is as old as I am was interesting...cause at some points I am passing folk on bikes that are $6000.00 pieces of machinery and at other times I am being passed so it was some give and take.  Do I want the very awesome tri-bike (sure) but not willing to pay for it!  The ride was fun it was cool to ride with folk and not alone as I had for the last month of training! 18 miles in 58 minutes...thats okay for me.

Transition from bike to run...
This part was very smooth...2.5 minutes in and out...except that I almost ran out the bike entrance area! 

The Run...
It was 5 miles...no big deal!  Other than the fact that I had just swam and biked (very thankful for having done this in training) it was a very nice run.  Just kept reminding myself that all I wanted to do was complete for this year and that is what I did!  5 miles in 50 minutes...way slower than I run but understandable for the day!


The best part of the race...my wife and kids being at every point cheering me on...especially at the end they had signs as I cam thru the ending gate as well as some awesome friends!

The worst part of the race...in the car 20 minutes away and getting stung by a wasp while driving home!  As if my whole body hadn't endured enough...which as I am a week done and the wasp sting still has a welt but the body recovered by the day after! (yes I did start in on another workout, yes I did take one day off to rest!)

questions, comments...lemme know!



No comments: